Friday, September 13, 2013

Post - Posting


OK.  I confess.  I'm sure anyone who has been watching this blog has figured out that I've been post dating entries for the past couple of weeks.  When I started this process a couple of years back, I clearly stated no intention of being current, accurate, or otherwise responsible for any of the rambling content.  I've since proven that I pretty much as lazy as I suspected I might become.   So, in the interest of bringing this trip to a close, I'm going to crash through the last several days of the venture.

Nothing terribly exciting took place on this final leg and there were only a limited number of occurrences worthy of snarky comments.  (However, I will not let them pass.)

The last post left us over-nighting at Voyager Provincial Park just west of Ottawa Ontario.  Contrary to my preconceived prejudices, Quebec had turned out to be an enjoyable cultural experience and has even led me to explore the early history of the French presence in eastern Canada.

Moving into Ontario did however bring the comfort of being able to read the road signs a bit better.  And the feel of the countryside became more like "home", but with a certain frontier outpost sort of feel.  The run to Sault Saint Marie, (with an overnight in Sudbury Ontario), was a day and a half at our typically slow pace and the scenery, while not dramatic, was still pleasant.  A lot of woodlands and clear blue sky and lakes,

Sault Saint Marie Crossing
About mid-day we re-entered the US.  This is obviously NOT a flamboyant entry point.  No "Welcome to the United States" signs or waving flags.  You are greeted by a no-neck kinda guy with fu-manchu and a 2-day growth in a drab, no-nonsense grey uniform.  No smile, no welcome home, just that disinterested, (but not really), look that says without saying,  "You got any IED's in that rig?"   A look that probably derives from being too many months in places where that is a very relevant question.




Aside from the 500 lbs of Canadian rocks, we
had very little to declare at customs so we were on our way to Pictured Rocks National Seashore without further ado.









Now I have to say coming "home" via the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is a little like coming home via Kazakstan.  Da Yoo-Pers, (as they refer to themselves), do speak a form of English in the presence of foreigners, (Fudgies).  I suspect however that in our absence, conversation is a series of grunts and growls interspersed with adopted words like "beer" and "fish", preceded by dem and de and always proceeded by Eh!,   They eat things like Cudighi and Pastys and have Quill Pigs for pets.

At a local bistro called the Bear Trap, out of curiosity I did order a Pasty, not sure that being a good idea in front of Val.  To my chagrin, it turns out the word is pronounced with a short "a", not a long one.  In any case, what I got probably tasted better than what I thought I might get.   The ATV guys sittin' nearby undoubtedly got a chuckle out of that.  All-in-all, the culture was more exotic, but substantially less sophisticated, than French Quebec.  And you can be DAMN sure they don't have sassy chickens.



A day at Pictured Rocks and a 28 mile bike ride (up hill both ways) in Minoqua, WI literally finished us off.  Head for home and the fun of cleaning out the Funmobile after 31 days and 5,964 miles.











Bear Skin Bike Trail Minoqua WI

FINALLY A @%@~#%^ MOOSE

I always feel a little guilty about babbling along about our trips but we enjoy sharing our experiences and thoughts.  It's not high adventure, but it is now a major part of our lives.

Love You All

Brad & Valerie

Good Night From Downers Grove



1 comment:

  1. Aww, even the moose looks happy.

    I'm glad our tribe shares its adventures online so the homebound can travel along vicariously. Only half the fun, maybe, but none of the laundry. Thanks for posting whenever you get to it!

    ReplyDelete