Thursday, September 29, 2016

Lonliest Rd Part II (plus some more)



The trend seems to be the longer we are out, the farther behind I get on postings.  I usually blame it on hte connectivity, but truth in fact, I just get lazy.

Anyway....  The stargazing I mentioned at the end of the last post was really great.  It's been a long time since we've clearly seen the milky way.  Even in the southwest, the air pollution from LA pretty much obscures it.

OK... It wasn't THAT good, but it WAS good.
The next day we completed the second leg of the Lonley Road

I promise...  No more "Lonely road" shots.

A "fixer-upper".  Yours for only $999.99

At our campground.
Antler road art

A wayside "Pioneers Exhibit" depicting a whole lot more people then we saw in the past 400 miles.

At the endpoint of the Lonely Road, we made a final stop at Great Basin National Park and Lehman Caves.  If you are ever passing through Baker NV,  (heh - heh), see the cave.  It's really quite beautiful (the cave, not Baker).  I have no pictures, since as I was an experienced caver in the 60's, I was assigned the highly responsible task of bringing up the tail end of the tour to make sure nobody got left behind. I did such a good job that we actually picked up two more people than we started with!!

From here, we turned south heading toward (BUT NOT TO) Las Vegas, stopping overnight a Cathedral Gorge (really more of a "gulch") near Panaca NV.  (Another nice place to visit if your in the area.).  A nice day-hike through some very impressive congealed mud.

Enough of those redwoods, ...
Bring on the eroded dirt!!

Ask Val about the rabbit.

Yes.  I Shaved this morning.

OK...  I got the picture.  You can come back down now.
Leaving Panaca, we headed to Snow Canyon which is just outside of St George UT.  Went into town for some lunch and groceries and then to the Canyon for a couple of short walks to fill out the afternoon.


A nice little slot canyon.


She says it's an "air kiss" but looks more like
an Italian epithet gesture to me.
So we're settled in for the night at Snow Canyon for two nights.  Tomorrow a day hike, but we HAVE to be out of here Saturday morning as we've been told five busloads of school children are showing up for some ecological event.  (A contradiction if I ever heard one.)

Good night from Snow Canyon (but with no snow.)

Brad and Val

1 comment: