Thursday, August 22, 2013

Time Wharp

 
In another valiant effort to catch up, today's post will cover our 3 days (8/20 - 8/22) in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia.  The Cabot Trail which encircles Cape Breton, is considered one of Canada's most spectacular drives.  While possibly a bit of a hyperbole, it was very spectacular indeed.



I have to say that when researching the trip, I almost ruled out this loop when warned about the 16% road grades.  That's pretty steep and I had memories of the Funmobile's maiden voyage and having to be towed out of a 1-way river valley road because I couldn't get up the grade I just went down.  Fortunately I ignored logic and we went anyway.

BTW - I do have to express on VERY annoying factor of this trip.  We have been combing New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia now for two weeks.  This is prime moose country and I have counted 2,143 "CAUTION MOOSE" signs so far.  Valerie has stated innumerable times, "You're supposed to be the macho, dominant provider.  FIND ME A DAMN MOOSE."  We did miss to gigantic bulls by about 30 minutes, but that's not cuttin' it.  I haven't given up yet, but my ego is taking a beating.  (Did spot a bear though.)



So without further comment, the following is a selection of some of the sights we encountered.


So... Is THIS good enough for a DAMN MOOSE!











A Pitcher Plant

A "slope fen" 


1 comment:

  1. A pitcher plant is almost as cool as a moose. But, yeah, by caution sign #2k, it seems like they are just mocking you.

    ReplyDelete