Monday, August 26, 2013

Traveling The Gaspe' (Suburb of Paris)



Spent several days travelling from Louisbourg  into our next destination of Forillon National Park at the end of the Gaspe Penninsula in Quebec, exploring the small coastal towns along the way.  The original plan was to spend two nights in Kouchibouquack Provincial Park (pronounced just like it's spelled ???) where there were reportedly some beautiful bike trails through the coastal dunes and bogs.

What the report did not say was that Kouchibouquack is Micmac Indian for "mosquitos so big they ate all the moose".  Since there were no moose left, we stayed one night and moved on.  Nothing of great interest on the 25th.

Morning of the 26th we crossed into Quebec.  Cleared Quebec customs with no problems.  (Just kidding.  They aren't allowed to do that ... yet.)  First stop was the Provincial Visitor's "l'information" center, which turned out to be the Quebec Social Security Information Bureau, ("information" being the only word I could pick out on the sign).




A few blocks further down the road we located the universal "?" sign which I have learned to love.  We were also greeted by the wonderfully international sign    -->

Following the south shore of the Gaspe' Penninsula, it also became evident the the Canadian rules about bilingualism don't apply here, so as we role along, my previously mentioned French wench is coaching me on how not to embarass myself (and my Nation) too badly.



The stop for the night was coastal Perce', home of famous "La Roche".

Having shortened our stay at Mosquito Provincial Park, we had no reserved campground site.  However, entering town we stumbled on a nice looking RV park and were able to get a camp site with a pretty decent view.






View From the Bedroom Window





Good Night Form La Roche









PS  -  Although I pretty much continuously poke fun at the French Canadians, I will admit that we've met nothing but the most friendly and helpful people all day.  They all speak English better than I speak my second language ... which is none.  (I will however continue to poke fun.)

1 comment:

  1. > Kouchibouquack Provincial Park (pronounced just
    > like it's spelled ???)

    Ha!

    Also, I just realized, there should be more selfies of you and Mom together. Also also, where are the jumping pix?

    ReplyDelete