Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A Tragic Loss


Wednesday 13 May

Today we mourn the loss of a beloved member of our family.  After starting the morning ritual of getting the Kuerig fired up, I sat down to read my daily email traffic. About the third email, awareness came to me.  Now if anyone has a Kuerig, they intimately know all of the little noises it makes.  A  hummm as it fills with water, a light bubbling as it heats to just below boiling then a click to let you know it is ready for you to select the correct (large) cup size. Push the button and the trickling sound and aroma of fresh coffee filling your mug, followed by a rush of air as it clears its innards for another inevitable round.

NOT THIS MORNING!  The humm was fine, but then followed a gasp, then nothing.  No trickle, no aroma, just dead silence.  Several attempts at CPR failed to bring it back from the beyond and I pronounced it dead of unnatural causes.  Probably mineral laden water, being slammed around on bumpy roads, and possibly secret abuse by Val who has wished it dead ever since I expropriated her treasured Funmobile kitchen counter space.

I almost canceled today's activities in favor of a hunt for a Walmart but the closest one is in Colorado and since our original plan route will take us in that general direction, I can probably live on instant for a couple of days.

So.... off to Montezuma Canyon road. with photos and dialog as follows:

This is generally what the canyon terrain looks like.

Steps carved into the rock to an alcove.
(Couldn't get to this one.  Other side of the river.)

A cave in the distance.
(The little spec on the right side is me.)

The reverse of me looking back at the Funmobile

A more contemporary cliff dwelling.

How in the heck??

Don't worry.  Its probably only 70 or 80 years old.
(The ladder I mean.).


Typical of ruins we found.

Pot shards were common,
and REALLY difficult not to pocket!

Which one use Palmolive hand cream?
Some we couldn't get to.


Some we could.
Some we could, but shouldn't.

Stupid Tourist!
I'm gonna laugh my fuzzy tail off when he falls.
Some of the nicer rock art.


Cranes?
Wait til she sees my disco moves!
By the end of the road it 5:30 pm and we still have and X hour drive to get to Hovenweep National Monument Campground.  The "X" is because I haven't figured out how to get there yet.  I know where it is and I know where I am.  I just don't know which canyon road will get us there without a busted axle.

The decision is to fire up 3 GPS's and let the best two out of three call the shot.

It worked....

Good night from Hovenweep.

2 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure Amazon Prime will deliver anywhere with no shipping fees in two days... a Kuerig and camera all in one online shopping spree! I just checked... Amazon says "nearly" all addresses are good for two day delivery. Probably excludes every campground you have stayed at between Hovenweep and Chicago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handsome lizard! And how interesting to live in a trailer in a hole in the wall.

    Sorry to hear about your loss. If you get a new one, make sure it's not the 2.0 that only allows proprietary cups. Fight the power!

    ReplyDelete