Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Zion National Park

Monday 4 May (and Sunday 3 May)

The past couple of days have been at Zion National Park in southwest Utah which is dominated by sheer cliffs towering over 2,000 feet above the canyon floor.

First to explain the whiny post from yesterday.  Zion has a breed of squirrels which are notorious for sneaking up from behind and grabbing food right outt'a your mouth.  While we were eating lunch on a sandy river bank, one of the little beasties attacked.  I literally had to wrestle away my lunch and back hand him across beach.  He kept coming back for more until I found that throwing sand at him finally discouraged him from the concerted assault.

Proud of my eventual triumph over the 1 pound varmint, I turned around to Val grinning to find that in the process of saving my $2.00 tuna and crackers snack  I had rolled our $500 camera off the pack and into the fine beach sand.  Needless to say, it literally "bit the dust".

So much for the "lucky quarter" found only a couple of hours earlier.

Anyway, I'm done sulking over that frustration and on to enjoying the beautiful scenery and hiking at the park.

Residing under the window of
our cabin at Zion

Walk along the river in the early evening.

Lower Emerald Pools

I've turned her into a techno-junkie




View from under my hat during a beach snooze.
(It's hard work being a bum.)

Hope to get a replacement camera in a couple of days.
A cell phone just doesn't do justice to the scenery.

On an all day hike tomorrow to Secret Canyon.  Hope its really a secret.  The crowds are a little disappointing, but I guess you can't have a National Park ALL to yourself.

Good Night from Zion National Park Lodge.

Brad and Val.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the camera. Love the hat pic. Might almost be worth getting you a Google Glass (is that even still a thing or is it all wrist watches now?) to experience you fighting off a ground squirrel.

    ReplyDelete